Monday, February 1, 2010

How do you plan your life?

Life is like many things. People use all sorts of stories to compare life to, when, in reality, NOTHING is like life. It's a very special, unique gift.

I think we often take things we are ABLE to do in life for granted. Such as writing. Driving. Having spare time. Spending time with ______.
I thought about this the other day when I got an email from my cousin. He has pretty bad arthritis, yet, he still found time and strength to write me. It made me feel awful when I thought about days I COULD have written him, but didn't. We procrastinate SO much, that sooner or later, it's too late to do that task. Because I CAN write, I say I'll do it tomorrow. Because we CAN drive, we say we'll go see family or friends sometime. Because we DO have extra time, we say we'll do something with people we don't get to see or fellowship with very often. We put things off for so long, that eventually they get forgotten, or aren't worth doing anymore. Things that are SO very important get put off so long, their value is lost.

Not just with activities and tasks. What about people....ourselves? We put off working on a self problem for SO long, we end up losing our worth to ourselves. We don't take care of ourselves, and each other, and sooner or later nothing that is important matters to us anymore. What's the most popular excuse? "I don't have time." We hear this EVERY SINGLE DAY. What if Jesus "hadn't had time" for us? What if He just got tired of trying...where would we be today? Does everyone ignore this ongoing process of terribly important things being ignored? I don't think anyone WANTS to see it, then when it's too late, they become forced to see how they've missed out and messed up so many things.

Simply being with friends. Going to see family. Writing a letter. Playing a game with your child or sibling. Going out to eat with your parents. I believe the excuse "I'm sorry, I just don't have time. I have things to get done" has become our hideaway. Half the time people say this to someone, they don't really have something that important to do. Take a nap. Ok, like we all need naps constantly. We say "well, I haven't spent much time with ____ and need to have some alone time." This has been how long? You haven't made time for them BEFORE now, and most likely everyone will get home, and every one will go to a different room or such.

Time. Where is yours going? What are you putting at the top of your priority list? It is REALLY important, or is it something you use to hide behind. Life won't go on forever. And, once you're gone from this earth, you're gone. You can't come back and spend more time with someone you "were going to get around to hanging out with." Life is specious. People are precious. You won't have this opportunity all your life. Things change, so take the chances you have now, and run with them! Make time for people, friends, family. There are people out there that CAN'T go out to visit, and if they had YOUR ability to do so, they would jump on it faster than you can imagine!

2 comments:

GBeth said...

Sad but true, how often the most important things get put off.
Thanks for encouraging me to try harder.

Jessie said...

It's something everyone struggles with. Just know you're not alone. :)