Friday, October 22, 2010

What is your fall back?

One of the things Bro. Jeff (the missionary) pointed out over and over, was the fact that we, Christians, have a "fall back." Whether it's a missionary getting a degree in something before they go out to the mission field so they will have something else they can do if that "doesn't work out," or a your average Christian finding a few things they could do in case the job they feel God has called them to goes dead.

Since when do we use the world as our fall back? Since when do we have such little faith in God's calling that we have a back up plan...in case God's doesn't work...?
Have we become so dependent on ourselves that God is our second option?

God has a plan for our life. It may not always be a perfect fairy tale with happy endings to each day, but He has a plan nonetheless. If only we could turn back to Him, and trust Him with all that we are. Do things, even if they seem crazy, simply because we trust Him completely.

I have had so many plans in my life, and I had the thing *I* wanted to do as my first option, and what I thought God wanted as me second. Plan (a) would fall through, of course, and I'd "fall back on" plan (b) aka: God's plan.

I pray you and I have the strength to choose the harder, less worn path. The direction in life that we know won't be easy, but have faith enough in God, our Creator, that we just forge ahead with it. He will always be there for us, in the hard times and in the easy times. Our job is simply to praise, trust, and follow Him in all times.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know what to say about this post, since I don't usually have a crystal clear conviction that plan A is of God, and plan B is of myself. But, if you KNOW God want this or that, the following seems to apply.

"But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts." Romans 13:14

On the other hand, in humility we are sometimes forced to hedge our bets.

"Cast your bread on the surface of the waters, for you will find it after many days. Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth."
Ecclesiastes 11:1-2

I would also say, that I have spent too much of my life "making a parachute," chasing the safer bet, assuring that I will not accomplish my primary goals.