Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Life's constantly moving

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful." -Colossians 3:15

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about my night and how I was up worrying and thinking until well after 1. As I told her all I was thinking of while I sat awake, she said some very encouraging things to me. One of my worst habits is sitting awake at night and thinking "worst case scenarios" through my head, and worrying about anything Satan throws at me. It's pretty depressing.

She said,
"Even though you've made mistakes and done things that were wrong, you are forgiven. It is so easy to focus on what we've done wrong and not what Christ did to forgive us. Not saying you shouldn't think about the things you've done wrong, because God uses those times to teach us for the future. But we CAN'T forget that Jesus took upon Himself the guilt and shame that we feel. You have no need to feel condemned for what has happened, because all of that has literally been taken from you by the Creator of the universe. The One who created you took your shame and your grave because He loves you with an incomprehensible and unfathomable love."

You see, when I received Jesus a long time ago He forgave everything I've ever done. Now when I do wrong or sin against Him, all I have to do is ask His forgiveness and it's given. No questions, no guilt; He forgives what I have done and forgets it. In His mind, it is as if it never happened. As humans it is very hard, sometimes even impossible, for us to forget a wrong done/said against us. But I pray so hard that God will teach me the kind of forgiveness He gives to us. I know I won't be able to be just like Him in this area, but I can definitely improve and, with time, I can get better and start relying on HIM to help me forgive hurts towards me, and love those who haven't loved me.

Not to say I have all these people who have hurt me or anything. But God has shown me that bitterness is a big problem in my life.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice." -Ephesians 4:31

Bitterness in the heart will rot me away to nothing, and I will live a very lonely life if I let it take hold of me. Many, many things God has opened up to me, and though Satan tells me I won't ever overcome these things, God tells me that with His strength, I can.

Isn't that always the case though? With Satan, it's always "you CAN'T." With God, it's "you CAN."

No comments: