Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Patience for the life of Christ

Patience is one thing that I seem to lack with people more than any other thing. I get in a hurry and want them to rush what they're saying or get on with the point, to do their job faster, get finished using something so it will be my turn, drive better or "the way I would" and so on. The list is endless. I don't have a lot of patience; plain and simple.

As I sat here thinking of this, something came to my mind. How many times have I gone astray, taken longer to grasp a concept or driven my life the way *I* wanted...and God just stood back patiently waiting for me to let go and let Him take over?
His patience is never ending no matter how slow I am or how many times I have to be taught the same lesson. He waits for me, loving me still.

To be Christ like, I must remember patience. I must remember that things don't have to go my way and in my time; people may be slower in situations where it would be nice if they could go faster, but God might have a reason for the way things are going right now.

I need to make a conscious effort to not roll my eyes, sigh and get irritated when I feel my patience being tested.

"So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another," -Collosians 3:12-13

Have compassion on those who can't figure things out as fast as you and be kind when you show them a better way to do something. Be humble, not showing pride in how much you know, but being gentle with your words and having patience as the person learns. Bear with them as they do tasks or tell stories.

Everyone deserves to be shown compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. We should all bear with one another, showing love as Christ did to those around Him. He talked to the poor, blind, sick and needy.

Should we not, also, be patient with people? We don't have to be treated that way to treat others with that which we know is right.

"To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing." -1 Peter 3:8-9

I am also very impatient in my life and things that I'm hoping will happen in my future. I get very impatient and depressed when my life just seems to go in circles and never get anywhere. But you know what?

One thing everyone must learn is this: We're not too slow, we haven't missed out on loads of things people tell us we have. We haven't missed our opportunity to be who God made us to be. We may not be in the place that all our friends are, but we are just where God wants us. We am special and unique, unlike any other. We must be patient for Him to do in our lives that which is right, not that which others tell us needs to happen. Most of the time, waiting is so much harder than taking action and jumping in to things.

"Be still and know that I am God." Be still and know His plan for you is unlike any other; He is never late, He will never just drop your dreams and wishes and make you miserable. He loves you and wants only the very best for you. In God's eyes we are princes and Princesses. We are His children and His plan for our life is far greater than we could ever imagine. Not always easy, but always worth it.

No comments: