Sunday, September 25, 2011

Strike plan 'B' out of the picture

People have this image of Christians as those who have it all together. We often put on a false face for our Christian friends to show them we're doing great, no problems whatsoever. This puts a big falsity into motion. Because one family won't show emotion of hardships they've been through recently, another family doesn't want to look imperfect so they, too, put on that face. Sooner or later we aren't able to speak of any problems we've had at church because everyone's life seems to be going perfect! This is where the pride begins; we see nothing but "perfect" people around us and we couldn't possibly show weakness to those who seem so strong. We probably just have something wrong with us, it's probably just all in our head.

Everyone knows what I'm talking about..we've all done it at some point in our life (or still do.) You have a rough week, so much stress it's been overbearing and even an argument in the car on your drive to church. It seems so hard...but what do we say when our friends ask how we've been? "I've been doing great! How about you?" They reply with "Oh good! I've been great, too!" Shame on us. To open up to other believers is good for us; we can humble ourselves to ask for prayer, which they will most likely give willingly.

Now listen, at the same time if we're the one asking how someone's week has been, ask as though it were being asked of you. We must make sure to ask with sincerity and not make it just a casual question. *Two sides, both need help to get out of the regular rut.*

I say to myself "But, what would my friends do if they found out I'm not always really happy, content, faithful or at peace with my life? Everyone else looks so happy, I'd just rather not bother them." Most likely my friends are going through some kind of hardship, as well, or at least might have already been through one. They might need the encouragement and someone to listen just as much as you do.

Always be the one to ask sincerely and listen with a humble heart.

When things start sliding, when problems arise...I'm ready. I have my plan. Let's call it Plan 'A'. This is my idea of the perfect plan. I have it all mapped out and charted so I can fix this untimely problem. If my plan doesn't happen to work, I've always got God's to fall back on, right? It's the back-up, second in line, "just in case" plan. Wrong. There is no plan 'B', because I shouldn't have a plan 'A' from my own ideas. This is when I would quote the verse that says "Woe to the rebellious children, who take counsel, but not of God, and who devise plans, but not of God's Spirit." (Isaiah 30:1)

Woe to me, the one who thinks more highly of myself than I ought to.

I think I have it all figured out, think I'm smart enough to work out my own life. Where does faith fit into this little plan? Right on. It doesn't. There is no room for faith if I do not trust my life in someone's hands who aren't mine. When trials come, my FIRST reaction should be to run to God for guidance and strength.

"Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him;" -Psalm 37:7

The funny thing about God though, is that He waits for us, as well. He doesn't swoop down and take hold of our life when He sees us messing things up. He waits for us to call on His name; to cry out a humble cry of one who is in need of a greater power. At that point we should be fully trusting Him, desperate for Him alone to keep us safe.

One of the young men in my church put it like this:
He told how he loves holding his little brother and tossing him into the air and catching him. Well, his little brother is getting older and growing up a little bit. Now, right as he is about to toss the little guy into the air, he grabs onto his big brother tightly, clinging to him fearful of being dropped or falling. Big brother says to him "I won't drop you...I wouldn't ever drop you." He said "It made me think about my relationship with God. He's telling us 'I wouldn't ever drop you.' " It's so true. God is our Father and we are His precious, priceless children. He won't ever drop us; He'll never leave us; He won't lead us down a path to harm us.

This kind of trust is so very hard, especially when we feel as though we've been tossed so high in the air that we'll come down too fast to be caught. God's strength and power is sufficient. Period.

Now, a few hints we can constantly check in our own lives that prove we're trusting God are:

-We should be joyful
-We should be at peace

If we have neither of these in our life, we need to check our trust meter because it's probably on "low" or "empty". "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path."

"Wait for the LORD; be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the LORD." -Psalm 27:14

Something I've always done to measure how much a person could be trusted was how much they would do for me. How far they were willing to go to protect me. If someone says they care about me so much that they would give their life for me if I ever needed it...that person almost has my complete trust. The funny thing is, when I think of trusting my life to someone I can't see it becomes very hard and many times scary. I often cower and become afraid to let go of all the things I need to and place them in the hands of God. But you see, He truly deserves all of my trust. Unlike those who say they would give anything to protect me, God actually has done so already! He did give His life for me, so that I could live!

Trust is one of the hardest things we'll ever have to learn. Trusting in God, deciding who to trust from those around you...it's very difficult. But it's also one of the things in life that's reward is far beyond any other thing. To trust someone or something means you'll have peace.

"Yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary." -Isaiah 40:31


"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." -John 14:27

No comments: