Saturday, June 2, 2012

Not Just A Person

Most of my life I have downed myself for almost anything I could think of.

-My looks
-My weight
-My voice
-My talents

Anything I could do, I searched for someone that was far beyond me so I could have an excuse to diss myself.

I was just sitting here throwing myself a little pity party as I folded clothes and listened to music when something came to me. Every time I tell myself or others that I'm stupid, good for nothing, etc I'm taking away all of the credit from God for the way He made me. I'm shouting to everyone that He made a mistake; that His creation is useless.

Wow.

That one hit hard. I thought I was doing myself (and everyone else) a favor by mentally and verbally being disgusted with myself. Besides, that's how everyone else saw me too, right?

It's hard to block out the lies of desperation Satan throws at us. But it is something that we all must learn to do. If you're like me, it will be one of the hardest battles you'll face. As always, lies of the enemy aren't just words; his lies are those that cut to the very root of everything. They attack your weaknesses and fears. Truth becomes blurred and you're unsure of what the words are of God and what words are coming from everyone else's mouth.

There's something amazing about God, more than anything else I've ever known. You see, He doesn't need me. He doesn't need you. He has everything He needs. He can make anything He desires. He could tire of our griping, complaining, bickering, anger, blame, pride and conceit. Instead, He desires to be near to us. He wants to spend time with us. That is something truly mind boggling. He could wipe us all our right now. But He loves us so much that He forgives time and time again...and always has arms open wide enough to cover our sins and mistakes.

You see, our worth is not found in our parents, grandparents, our Aunts/Uncles, our siblings or spouse. We will never be "good enough" for them because they are all human; they will always see our sins and have to live with the consequences and disappointment. They have a harder time forgiving and can hold grudges. This is not how God works. Humans will always let you down, even if they don't intend to. God, on the other hand, cannot let you down. Your desire for worth and acceptance is right in front of you. You have more worth in the eyes of God than anyone on this earth could ever have!

"Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek it's own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails... but now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, 13

The bible says that God is love (1 John 4:16) which also means that He is all of the above. Though He is perfect, He knows we are not. He does not "take into account a wrong suffered."

He is the Creator of every human on this earth; He KNEW we would never meet up to His standards. Yet He gave us life, died for us, WANTS us anyway. THAT is true love.

"Hatred stirs up strive, but love covers all transgressions." -Proverbs 12:12


Mankind will always quarrel. Even best friends and people who love each other will argue and cause drama (yes, there really aren't any perfect friendships or marriages.) God, on the other hand, covers over our sins with His gift of sacrifice.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." -Romans 5:8

God's love is never ending; it will go on for eternity. He IS love. Pure love. Love that is there no matter how many times you fail.
"We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love..." -1 John 4:16

I have what I call "off" days where I get depressed about my life. But someone once told me "if you are living your life for God, what else do you truly need to be doing?" I am pulled a million different directions everyday by people all around me. It can get overwhelming when you have so many people who have the perfect idea how you should be living your life, but none of those opinions are God's. He values my gifts, because He gave them to me. HIS plan will put them to use in the best way; a way that will impact more people. Though I may not be there yet, I pray someday I will be unafraid to use my gifts to the full extent that God sets before me.

If these verses don't prove you have worth, go read them again. You are more than just a person. You are a child of God, your life is a gift; don't waste it. When our life is over, do we want to be remembered for our degrees, diplomas and certificates (these are what man puts worth on), or for the legacy we made by following God through thick and thin?

No comments: