Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Jesus Lifestyle

Amazing Grace
This precious gift from God Himself of eternal life through faith in Him

How Sweet The Sound
It is like music to my ears to know such grace exists

That Saved A Wretch Like Me
I was nothing. I sinned against a holy and righteous God and was headed on a road to hell

I Once Was Lost
Going through each day not having any direction; no place I had in my site as the end

But Now Am Found
Since Jesus came into my heart, I have been found and bought by the Most High; the King of kings and Lord of lords. He found me and took me in as His own

Was Blind
I saw nothing but my own self and what I wanted

But Now I See
Jesus has given me new eyes, eyes that can see joy, peace and love.

This song is probably one of the greatest songs ever written. You see, it wasn't written by someone who had a perfect life. It was written by a man who had done wrong by many slaves, and felt a huge change in his life when he met Jesus. He wanted everyone to know how to find THE WAY. He knew how it felt to be so lost you don't know which way was up and which was down. He was headed on a path that was going nowhere.

It amazes me sometimes how often I can speak of God's love as if I am an expert; especially how we shouldn't treat those who are different than us with less respect. I still find myself making comments every now and then that proves how sinful my heart can still be.

I want to live like Jesus, and to do so I must put myself, my own desires and fears, aside so I can love endlessly.

"Jesus loves the outcast. He also loves the ones the world just loves to hate." (Relient K)

Isn't it about time we start treating people how we want to be treated? If I've said it once I've probably said it a thousand times. "Well that's not fair." Oh, the dreaded word. My mom always told me "Well Jessie, life isn't fair. You need to learn that while you're young." Boy did I ever. I don't get treated like kings and queens. As a matter of a fact, there have been times when I've been treated pretty awful, and whereas I could go and moan and groan about it, I then remember I have treated people just as poorly.

Life isn't fair, but it sure doesn't have to be as cutthroat as we make it sometimes. If we would all just be a little more kind to strangers. Live a little slower. Show more compassion to those who are hurting. We really wouldn't have to deal with so much of a mess everyday.

I have set so many goals for myself over the years it's ridiculous. But, do you know what I've learned? Telling myself I am going to show more "kindness" won't make me any more kind than I am right now. Saying "well, people have said I'm not very nice, so I guess I need to work on that." Kindness isn't something you make yourself do; kindness is something you live out because it's all you know how to do. Jesus living inside of us should make us more kind, loving and compassionate than we used to be! And people should be able to see the change every single day.

It won't be easy; making these things part of our lifestyle will take more than what we have, so we will have to lean on God for help. But the verse over in Nehemiah says "the joy of the Lord is my strength."

Have you ever noticed how much more pain or stress you can handle when you have someone in your life that makes you happy constantly? Bad things don't seem as bad, sad times don't seem as sad... The joy God gives through His love is what gives us the strength we need to continue on our Christian journey. It is not an easy one, but it can be a beautiful one!

No comments: