Monday, November 12, 2012

Attitudes For Christ

"It is not our circumstances that need to change, it's us." -Tenth Avenue North

I don't know about you, but every time something comes up in my life that is hard to deal with, I moan and groan and complain, and ask God "why I had to go through it." I want every circumstance to be one that is in my favor.No difficult people, no drama, no tears, no worries, no rudeness, no fear, no arguments.

"If everyone else were like me, I wouldn't have to go through this" right? Have we not all thought this at one point in time? Well, it is the wrong thinking. If everyone were like me, I would be arguing all the time; same with you. We would be miserable. We are our worst enemies.

The thing is, our attitudes should not depend on our circumstances. They always do, but it doesn't mean it's the best thing. Our attitudes should always reflect Christ. No matter the situation. Even as I write this, it's very hard for even me to change my attitude for the situations around me. When people or things become negative, my first reaction is fear and "worst case scenario" thoughts flying through my head. My end result is always running from either the person or situation because that is my answer to the problem. But, running is tiring, and I am very worn out.

Running isn't ever the solution. It is an easier action, but a much harder thing to deal with in the long run. You become filled with regret and fear and aren't ever able to let things go. My life has been filled with this, and my answer is always to blame someone or something else for why I'm miserable.

I have been my own worst enemy for some time now. Causing fear that should not be there, doubt that has no ground, worry where there is nothing to worry about. In the end, all these things that happen, I make them worse to the extent of my misery.

I've learned that sometimes God cuts us so that He can heal us. He doesn't withhold good from us to send us bad. He does, however, allow us to go through hard times to grow us, strengthen us and build us up. God will never give us more than we can handle, but when we feel He has, it means we are not allowing Him to take charge and work through the problems in HIS way. You know that verse "His ways are higher than our ways"? Well, it's so true. They are! His reasons are so higher than we could ever understand. When one thing happens to us, no matter how good or bad they are, it's not just affecting us. It is affecting so many others around us; possibly people we don't even know.

"Come, let us return to the Lord. For He has torn us, but He will heal us; He has wounded us, but He will bandage us." Hosea 6:1

Things don't always go the way we want, but that never means God isn't there or doesn't have a plan.

No comments: