Monday, October 4, 2010

Day by day

Sometimes it seems as though each day that passes means I've simply gone another day without getting anything done. I read constantly, pick up the house...but what have I accomplished? I might be slightly more informed on the topic I've read about and have a clean house, but what has that really gotten me?

I start thinking of things God's given me, whether it be creativity or a desire to sit and talk with Him for awhile. I rush around doing nothing only to have that be my title at the end of the day. For a lack of better words I just feel bored! It's as though my mind has gone blank with things to accomplish so I just give up on trying and sit down with a book.

God has given me so many days, and having accomplished two small things in my day is no longer acceptable. Every person has a need to feel like they're useful, needed, or maybe even talented. Whatever the case may be, whether we admit it or not we don't like being lazy! It's depressing and just makes us tired.

I've now begun a new list of goals. I don't just need to read, I need to learn. Anyone can sit down with a book; to do extra research or look up a word I don't know the meaning to, that's going the extra mile. (Of course, that's just an example.) I don't need to just clean because things are messy, I should have some fun, talk with God as I'm cleaning; maybe I can teach my younger siblings how to do specific jobs. I should take time to read God's word more often; feed off of it.

So many things I do every day are done half heatedly. I might tell myself I've accomplished a little bit when in reality the jobs weren't done well at all. Every job is to be done as if it were being done for the Lord. That's what the bible says. Weather it's school, cleaning, a creative project, helping my siblings with something, or just making my bed....do it all as if it's a job for Christ. Because everything we do really should be done for Him anyway, not for us or anyone else.

I pray I will strive to please God in all that I do, sooner or later I'll notice I'm not just going through life day by day, but living life to it's fullest potential.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The battles in the secret thoughts of the mind are perhaps some of the most heroic ever fought. Behind every set of eyes is a soul, a soul listening to a script that interprets everything that is happening. "Life's fun." "Life is pain." "I'm blessed!" "Is that all there is?" Over the years, I confess I have struggled with times when all seemed meaningless. (It's always worse when I'm tired or lonely.) A look at a tree yields nothing warm and poetic, just cold streams of data about xylem and phloem cells, cambium, chlorophyll, chemicals, a tree is just a lot of glucose making up a lot of cellulose, and none of it matters to me. When I look too long at the pieces, the whole seems to just vanish. Have you ever seen those pictures where a page is composed of a noisy collection of random dots, yet when you stare at some point beyond, a hidden picture comes into view? That's how meaning works for me, when I focus on Jesus and his righteousness.

Unknown said...

Jessie, you struck a nerve with this post. When it comes down to it, there is something really basic inside of us that yearns for meaning in all that we do. When I walk, where do I go? When I run, what makes it urgent? When I get there, what makes that place better than the one I just left? It's really deep. It's not healthy to stay there long, at least it hasn't been for me. We are not supposed to dissect ourselves, or life itself, so much. But from time to time, we must, or we end up fools at the end of a long, lonely road totally burnt out, empty souls merely existing.

Jessie said...

Very good thoughts. I always enjoy hearing what you have to say...you should start a blog of your own! :) I'm sure you would have many eager readers!