Saturday, December 4, 2010

Reading God's word and thinking on Christmas

Lately when I've been "bored" flipping through the concordance in the back of my bible has been my choice of thing to do.

One verse that I read tonight was 2 Corinthians 9:7 which reads,
"So let each one give as he purposes in his hear, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver."

With the Christmas season upon us, I think we all forget the most important meanings of Christmas. First off, it is when we, as Christians, celebrate the birth of Christ. The ultimate gift. That day was the first day the world had hope since the fall of mankind. Hope...also fulfilled the day Jesus sent His son to die for our sinful ways. That was the promise God has given us many years before.

People get so caught up in "getting" and not just getting things for themselves, but buying things for other people. The entire "holiday" has been switched around. Instead of us being thankful for God's gift of death, and our gift of life...but now we have made it all about us. What can *I* get out of this holiday. How many sales can *I* hit to get good deals...on things we don't EVEN "need" nonetheless!

I know all of us Christians tell people "don't forget the reason for the season" but do we really believe that in our hearts, or do we say it to put on a good show?
Is God REALLY first in our lives...even through the Christmas season? Do we become stressed with all of the work we "have to do" and the gifts we "have to buy," or do we thank God for what we have, and give to those less fortunate?

Think about our birthdays...we get cards, phone calls, emails, wall posts on facebook, gifts...then we look at the time we celebrate Christ's birth..and what does He get? He gets to watch us fight over sales in stores, give gifts to each other... that we don't need. Even the simplicity of a "thought" put into a gift to someone else is too much to ask.

I so wish we would simplify this season. I wish we would remember why we're celebrating at all! And lastly...I wish we'd give something back to Christ. A gift to the less fortunate, a thank you prayer to God for ALL He has blessed us with, telling those around us how much of an encouragement they've been in our lives...

My prayer for this month is so pray more, stress less. To thank God for the abundance of things I have, instead of making a list of things I "want." To give to others more than I give to myself.

I am SO blessed. I have so much "stuff," I have the most amazing Godly family, I have incredible friends, I have the most fantastic guy who is growing along life with me, I have God's promises....what else do I really need? Not a thing.

Our God is great....He is loving, merciful, faithful, and so very worthy of all of our praise and thanks.

No comments: