Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lessons learned

As I sit here in my little messy room attempting to organize everything, I can't help but wonder how it got this way. I am a very organized person...in more depth, I am so OCD I drive everyone around me crazy, myself included. lol I remember all the times through my life when I've complained about not getting something I "needed" (aka WANTED) and just laugh. How can I be so discontent when I have so much? How can I be so ungrateful for all of the blessings I've been given? I have so much more than I could ever need...so much so that it's overwhelming...yet I still have times when I complain. How selfish.

As I was working through small sections of my room, I realize a few lessons God has been trying to teach me. I've gotten so many things I've wanted since I was little; I've made money for a long time and when I'd see something I wanted, I'd buy it. God then shows me how my "wanting" has caused me unhappiness. How all of these things I thought I "had to have" are now overwhelming me and overflowing out of my room. Talk about an eye opener. For an OCD person, who must have everything neat and tidy, having a messy room is just depressing!

Not that having "stuff" is wrong. But when you constantly complain about "lacking" anything, that is just pure ungratefulness and selfish. To thank God for His blessings is one of the greatest pleasures one can have. God is SO good, and gives us all so much more than we deserve...we aught to give thanks daily for everything we have.

It's amazing what kind of things God can use to get our attention, isn't it? That small voice who barely speaks over our busy lifestyle; that is heard over blaring voices and loud music. The Almighty voice of God...just a whisper, but more powerful than any strong voice on the earth; that is, if we will listen for it.

No comments: