Sunday, March 20, 2011

Selfless

I was talking to someone at church today, and the words "patience" "humbleness" and "selfless" came up a few times. We then went on to talk about what they meant. The definition of selfless is: "Having, exhibiting, or motivated by no concern for oneself; unselfish"

How many times have I gone into a relationship expecting someone to give me love and acceptance?
How many times have I gone into a relationship expecting nothing?
How many times have I gone into a relationship vowing to give all I have and expect nothing back?

Life is full of disappointments. It's just a fact (one I've always made very clear to myself lol). Because of selfishness, I believe, I make life harder on myself than necessary. Not saying if I give and give and give life will be great. But is it not better to live a life of selflessness than to live a life for myself and never be happy?

I truly believe that most relationship problems are because of selfishness. It's such a deep problem, that grabs a hold of us tightly. When I look around at marriages, they seem to be destroyed because either one, or both, of the people involved have completely selfish motives. They want things done their own way, when they say it. They want a new house, car, ring, clothes, "toys" etc, etc, etc...the list can go on. The sad thing is, the more you get the more you'll want, and you will never be happy with what you have. Your life will consist of getting more and more and more. Oh, the times I have gotten everything I have wanted...and still, it was not enough. Being happy with the least can give you the most.

To make a selfless choice, I have to put myself last. That doesn't mean it will result in a complete lack of self confidence or downing myself. I think a lot of people think that putting oneself last means not caring about them-self. It's simply not true.

God is to be first in my life. In everything I do. When I do that, love for others will come naturally! :) When I love God with all of my heart and live that out, it will overflow into other people. When I love others more than myself, God will bless it.

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends."
- 1 John 4:8

"Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men."
- Philippians 2:3-10

"It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
- Matthew 20:26-28

The more I think about myself or what I want in ANY situation, the more trouble, stress, and unhappiness I will have. I should *never* go into a situation thinking of what I want. I should always sacrifice my wants for others. God gave us everything He had. His life. For a bunch of sinners; for the very ones who hung Him on the cross. But even with that...He willingly gave Himself. Loved us absolutely selflessly. He knew a lot of people wouldn't love Him back, yet He did it anyway. THAT is how we should live our life! Love with no thoughts of getting any love in return...not even a little. Those who curse us, hate us, or are just plain awful to us...we are to love them all.

"You have heard that it was said, "Love your neighbor and hate your enemy."
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

- Matthew 5:43-44)

A selfless love. That should be my goal in life. To love my amazing Lord with all that I have. To give myself to Him so that He will be able to use me for something amazing...that only HE could make possible! Oh, the joys and blessings the Lord will give to those who trust and love Him fully! I'm not getting any younger, but if I can love and worship my God with the strength and love He empowers me with, then I believe He will be able to use me for something great. He can use you, as well.

I challenge myself so often. Rarely do I remember after a week what I have tried to keep up. But this, THIS, is something that I will need to be able to get through life. I can only do it with God's help, though, because I have only fleshly desires and selfishness in me. But through Christ, I can accomplish great things. What a promise!

No comments: