Friday, June 17, 2011

Lessons from God to me

I was thinking about my parents today. Not many kids today can or will say how amazing their parents are. But I really do have two of the most amazing parents. Not to put them on a pillar, because they have their faults. They don't always make the right decisions. They make mistakes. But the one thing I appreciate the most about my parents is their willingness to learn through a situation. Like the quote says "Many people stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves back up and keep walking and pretend nothing ever happened." Some people don't ever learn from their mistakes, but I am so thankful that my parents are ones who try to correct something they have done wrong.

Even when I was a little kid, and I would get in trouble. They taught me the importance of seeing I had done wrong, and made sure I understood I needed to make amends. My dad would give me a spanking when I had done something wrong, and when he was done he would says "You know I punish you because I love you, and want you to do the right thing, don't you?" I would respond with a yes, and he would give me a hug to show his love for me. How many parents punish their kids out of love? I know it sounds funny...but think about it. Most parents punish their children out of anger or utter irritation.

When they did something wrong, they would openly apologize. If they got upset at us, they would come and apologize. If they made a poor decision and us kids knew about it, they would come tell us they made a mistake and were sorry for letting us down in that area. Now tell me, HOW many parents do you see these days that are willing to admit when they've done wrong? Most parents realize they made a mistake, and just pretend it never happened, hoping everyone will forget about it and not make them feel awkward.

I adore my parents, I really do. But having said that, another thing about my parents, is that they point me to the One that my love and respect should go to most. Jesus Christ. Even though they make mistakes, they still learn and move on. They grow from them. As Christ wants us to do. They have also taught me the importance of forgiveness, even when I don't want to. Kids think its awful to have to tell their siblings they're sorry for something when they don't want to...but because I was made to do that as a child, it has better equipped me to go into adulthood with that same mindset. NO. It's not always easy. NO. It's never fun apologizing. For man is full of pride, and apologizing hurts that so deeply...But God loves a humble heart, one who can admit to doing wrong when wrong has been done...or even when we have offended or hurt someone unintentionally, and we apologize anyway. I know many times I've just wanted to put my two cents worth in ans say why I think it's ridiculous to apologize when I have "done nothing wrong." But...then I remember my Lord, hanging on the cross, bleeding and suffering...for who? For me. For that other person. For anyone who would accept His life offering. And I am truly humbled. To think of all the wrong I've ever done, and it all being forgiven. Just like that. And God forgives and forgets. Once something is forgiven, He no longer remembers it. Isn't that the most perfect example of how we should live our life? One full of forgiveness, love, and mercy?

To have a clean heart, one without bitterness, hatred or anger. That is very hard when you feel everyone is against you. But remember back to our Savior that gave His life, so we could simply have one! And not only give us life, but blessings, family and friends...material things that we don't deserve! Our God is so great to us, ones who deserve nothing...why then should we treat anyone with anything less than the love we, ourselves, have been shown?

The one thing I have learned that has made the biggest difference for me is the fact that having unholy things stored up in my heart simply hurts my health and mind. When I sit and think about something negative all the time, it will eat at me until one day I just drift away. It rots on my heart, and breaks down my health. Then you know what happens? The people I was bitter against are just fine, but I am all messed up...total opposite affect I wanted, wasn't it? The ones I wanted to get back by being mean are still fine, but I have made MYSELF miserable by brooding over the situation and how I want to get them back. Such a selfish, wrong state of heart on my part. I am nowhere near perfect. I am in the same place as every other person on this earth. I cannot say I am better than any of them. But my hope is that God gives me the strength I need to be more Christ-like every day.

God, I pray that you continue to cleanse my heart, to make it new every single day. To keep it clean of bitterness, anger, unforgiveness, pride and a judgmental spirit. I pray that you would bless all of those who curse me, and that I will be fully willing to show those Your love who have none for me. I pray that you would give me strength to overcome the enemies lies and darts, that You would allow me to keep my eyes turned on You every moment of every day. Amen

No comments: