Sunday, July 24, 2011

Thinking "less" and not "ish"

You know those times in your life when you think you do so much for all of those around you then all of the sudden, like an iron anvil, life hits you and you realize you haven't been doing very much at all? Yes, it's fun and I've come to that time.

Between the small things I do, little tasks, worrying about what I SHOULD be doing and the conversing with other people via facebook or phone... I don't do much of anything productive these days. I let things get out of hand and hadn't even realized it. Sometimes it takes a harsh reality check to get me back into motion with thinking of "others" and the better of my family than constantly doing things to help myself.

I put everything off so long that when I don't ever get around to the jobs, I blame it on forgetting all about it. I'm in a pretty sad state.

"And do not neglect doing good and sharing, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." -Hebrews 13:16

"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others." -Philippians 2:3-4

"But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?" -1 John 3:17


"Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you." -Matthew 5:42

You see, my life isn't about me. It's not about always getting only what's fair or what I feel like I deserve. It's not about having my way, it's not about always being right, it's not about always being treated right. My life is to be lived for Christ; that will mean I go through some hard things. Though, nothing I go through can even come close to what Christ went through for me.

The one thing that comes to mind when I think of saying to myself "well, that wasn't fair!" is this: Was Christ's life, rejection and crucifixion fair? Did He deserve to take on the worlds sin to Himself? Did He deserve being beaten and hung? No. Absolutely not. Life isn't fair; life certainly isn't perfect. I need to make sure that, even when things aren't going my way, I still give God the glory, keep a clean heart, a cleared head, loads of patience and only kind words flowing from my mouth.

There is so much more to life than being treated fair and getting "only what I deserve."
"To live is Christ and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:20-21) Shouldn't my life be Christ? Lived like Him, given of myself like Him?

"For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith." -Romans 12:3

I can think of myself quite easily. It doesn't take much to be selfish or do what's best for me rather than another person. But to truly be a "Christian" I have to be Christ like...to do that I must empty all my own wants and wishes and do what is best for others, even if it means I give up my own desires. I only have this life but a short time...why would I want to waste it thinking of myself all the time? It would be rather boring, I must admit.

"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:13-16

I need to stand out; be the person other people notice for being selfLESS and not selfISH.

No comments: