Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Papa

After my night last night of nightmares and constant fear being throw at me by satan...trying to fight away the memories...I thought I would write about the hero in my dream. The one who rescued and stood up for me.

Not many of the people I know now know my Papa. You should. A lot of my childhood memories have him in them. He is always so full of life, always there for his family no matter what and a constant reminder of a great man of God and character.

Many people have lost their grandparents, which is very sad. Every minute I'm able to spend with my grandparents I feel blessed. I always learn so much.

My Papa is one of the most amazing men you will ever meet. He works so hard, has amazing creativity, he is quite brilliant, funny, kind, loving and there for us any time we need him. He isn't a man of many "mushy" words or one who will open up to you...but just by one look, you know his heart is one of gold.

I remember as a kid him finding super unique gifts for all of us grand kids at Christmas time; and now that we're all older, he makes gifts for us by hand and hard work (amazing ones if I might add.) I remember get togethers at his house and having some kind of amazing ham always cooked up, I remember his all blue Christmas tree lol, his laugh, the stories we would get to hear from him, my dad and two uncles...I remember the specific candies he always had at his house, and only being allowed one a piece (lol), I remember seeing all of the things he created and thinking "My goodness, my Papa is amazing!" I remember spending days at his house when he worked at a Christian camp...walking around outside in the pine trees, I remember sitting in the back room of the cafeteria eating Trix cereal, I remember getting to swim at the camp then him taking us into the Concession stand and letting us pick out a drink and a treat, I remember him always making homemade ice cream for everyone, the times us kids would sneak behind the fence at the pool and dig up tiles people had picked off of the pool...so many memories. Such sweet memories.

Not many people have amazing grandparents, and certainly not ones as amazing as my Papa. His love for us kids is one that needs not be spoken. I pray God will let me and my family at least attempt to bless him as much as he has us. I pray God will give me a heart like my Papa, and a work ethic as strong as his. I pray God will continue to use him as an example of a man of God to all the young men he comes in contact with...and that I would take the wisdom he's shared over the years to heart and use it in my own life.

These are a few verses that are good examples of my Papa:

Proverbs 17:27- "He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit. "
I think it explains itself. This is what I see in my Papa.

Proverbs 29:23- "A man’s pride will bring him low, but the humble in spirit will retain honor."
Papa is one of the most humble men I've ever known.

Ephesians 6:4- "And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord."
Not being biased at all...I think Papa did a pretty good job bringing his sons up in the Lord.

1 Timothy 5:8- "But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."
Papa has provided for his family, and has always been willing to help out his family is they ever needed it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Papa is faultless or a "perfect" man, but his walk with the Lord is strong, and he has lived his life honorably. To be Christ-like is our goal in this life; we won't ever get there because we are sinful, but we through God's grace we can follow His leading.

Papa, I love you so much, and I thank God for such an amazing example to look up to. I pray I will one day turn out even as half the person you are.

No comments: