Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sadness vs. Joy

So, here I sat thinking. Normally when I think too much I become depressed; probably because my thoughts go to stressful, depressing things. You know, the normal stuff; what's wrong with my life and little things like that. This time was different, God whispered to me "You know how much time you'd save by just not thinking about these things that aren't yours to worry about anyway?" I've come to the conclusion that it takes even less brain power to think of happy, positive things. So I've decided that every negative thought that Satan tries to put in my head, I will counter act and think of a positive thought.

Count your blessings, name them one by one.

Seriously, try counting the things you're thankful for instead of the things you can come up with to complain about. You'll be surprised at the number of things that you're grateful for vs. the things that are going wrong.

If there's one thing I know for sure, life is a beautiful thing, something I take for granted every single day. I complain too much, I try to solve the worlds problems, my problems, my families, my friends...and anybody else's problems that I can think of. I will sit and spend hours thinking of all the things that aren't going so well, all my life's problems, all the mistakes I've made and all the faults I have (and believe me, that one alone takes awhile).

By this time I'm either in tears, or totally down which turns into a grumpy mood for ol' Jessie to all those around me. I've realized my thoughts go to "If my life is in pieces, then you won't be happy either." Oh boy is right. Quite awful isn't it? Eek.

I thought I'd go look in the bible to see how often it talks about joy. You know, trying to be positive. You know what I found? God really wants us to be joyful! It's mentioned so many times; so many verses about being joyful because of what's been done for us, shouting for joy because we have Jesus. Isn't that all we really need to be happy anyway?

Jesus is enough. Jesus is our joy, at least, He should be!

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." -Romans 15:13

"Therefore you too have grief now; but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you." -John 16:22

"I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance." -Luke 15:7

"O come, let us sing for joy to the LORD, let us shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation." -Psalm 95:1

"For You, O LORD, have made me glad by what You have done, I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands." -Psalm 92:4

"O satisfy us in the morning with Your lovingkindness, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." -Psalm 90:14

"My lips will shout for joy when I sing praises to You; and my soul, which You have redeemed." -Psalm 71:23

"For You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy." -Psalm 63:7

"Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit." -Psalm 51:12

"Make me to hear joy and gladness," -Psalm 51:8

"Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you righteous ones; and shout for joy, all you who are upright in heart." -Psalm 32:11

"For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for a lifetime; weeping may last for the night, but a shout of joy comes in the morning." -Psalm 30:5

"You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy;in Your right hand there are pleasures forever." -Psalm 16:11

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control;" -Galatians 5:22

I don't know if it's a song known by most people today or not, but when I was little I was taught "This is the day".
It says: "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it."

The Lord of Lords, Jesus Himself has given you and I each and every day as a gift. It's a reminder of His ultimate gift of His life given over 2,000 years ago. Each day is something not earned by any good that we have done, but by a gracious God who wants to bless us.

-Should I desire a better reason to be joyful? No

-Do I need more from life to be glad? No

-If all I had left was Jesus, would it satisfy me? It should!

No comments: