Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Heart Of Jesus

So, what would Jesus' heart look like? We see his reactions and how He responded to just about every situation all throughout scriptures...but have we noticed the pattern yet?

Let's see....I think I'll start at the beginning.

There are few words that have as strong of an impact as "I'm sorry." (Close second would be "I forgive you.") Saying them, on the other hand, is probably one of the hardest things for humans to do (I know it is for me, at least.) Admitting to someone else we were wrong or made a mistake is not something that just comes natural.

Never speaking these words is quite serious; this can put chains, not only on others, but on yourself as well. Pride is not good for us. Plain and simple. It will eat us up from the inside out like poison.

I always tell people I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong...but in all honesty, I really don't like it much. This mouth of mine goes off on me sometimes (more often than I realize) and I say things I know are wrong or hurtful; to go to someone and admit I acted wrong is...well, let me just say it's pretty difficult.

If only we could get it through our heads that relationships cannot stand without being humble... I can blame it on my inherited genes, or how I was raised, or who I hung around as a child, or anything else I can think of. But there comes a point when I have to turn that finger that I have so graciously aimed at everyone else, and point it right back at myself.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Wives/husbands...acting like you have it all figured out and thinking/saying "if they would only listen to ME then the relationship would be fine" is NOT how you work a marriage.

"In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior. Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands; just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.

You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered." 1 Peter 3:1-7


Whether it is father/mother/child, grandparent/grandchild, brother/sister, friends, etc. Staying humble is KEY to making any of these things work. (i.e. Parents, letting you're kids know how smart you are compared to them will never win you any points or build the kind of relationship with your child that you desire.)

"To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing. For, “The one who desires life, to love and see good days, must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit. He must turn away from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous, and His ears attend to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” " -1 Peter 3:8-12

We cannot continue on this path we're headed down. We cannot keep treating people like they know nothing compared to us and our infinite wisdom. We cannot expect to show the love of God while we traipse around showing off how we have it all figured out.

The bible talks a lot about many things....but the root of everything is being humble.

Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. -Philippians 2:8

Even Jesus humbled Himself to us...the entire world...He left heavens throne to come down to this messed up, sinful earth because He had such deep, pure love for us. He was put on as a crazy man who thought He was the "King of Kings" and you know what? He still came; full knowledge of that. That is the perfect example of being humble. How many of us would still jump out and do something if we KNEW before hand we would be made fun of and mocked by thousands of people? Probably not a single one.

"‘How long will you refuse to humble yourself before Me?" -Exodus 10:3

"When pride comes, then comes dishonor, but with the humble is wisdom." -Proverbs 11:2

"A man’s pride will bring him low, But a humble spirit will obtain honor. -Proverbs 29:23

"Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted." -Matthew 23:12

"He leads the humble in justice, And He teaches the humble His way." -Psalm 25:9

"When you are cast down, you will speak with confidence, And the humble person He will save." -Job 22:29

"O LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will strengthen their heart, You will incline Your ear" -Psalm 10:17

A lesson I need to learn...and I pray God would give me the heart I need to admit where I have failed and when I have made a mistake...because I have made many and have loads more I have yet to make.

"But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, “ GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE.” " -James 4:6

No comments: