Saturday, May 12, 2012

Stroking The Fire

"The I's have it!"

If you've ever been in any kind of church (or majority rules) meeting, you know what this means. I've been thinking about the way I respond to my life and what happens. Often times my reaction to something is "Well, the I's have it, so I'll go for it." Which basically means I have decided what I want and will just go for it.

I feel so lukewarm. I hold my life up next to those around me who aren't Christians (or at least not very "involved" Christians) and I think quite a lot of myself and how "good" I am. I mean, if I'm better than Bob or Annie, I've got to be doing pretty good with my life...right?

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" -John 10:10

A mediocre life isn't what should be the result if I am truly living for Christ with everything I am. But that's not how it happens, is it? It's all about me. It's all about what I want, what I do, how it will affect ME, what I'M feeling. Nothing I do is thought through far enough to the point where I think "how will that affect my family/friends/church/coworkers?" This world is all about getting what we want, and though we know it's wrong, we play right in to it's hand. We take what we're shown as a "need" by the media and enjoy it for a short time until we get bored, then throw it away.

Reading the bible is out of the question most of the time, because, well let's face it...that hardly EVER makes us feel good. Most of the time it simply points out where we're lacking. We listen to it being read on Sundays then only read it when we absolutely must.

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says" -James 1:22

Doing what the bible says means keeping God's word and God Himself at the forefront of our minds at all times.

Priorities. Yes, they're very tricky things.

Did you know that we "want" FAR more than has ever been needed for survival? We then slap a label on it saying it's just God blessing us with prosperity. Yes, because having so much in our lives that we become greedy and self centered is exactly what God desires, isn't it?

I don't even notice what's happening everywhere around me. There are people, right here where I live, all around the world, starving (yes, even in YOUR neighborhood) or struggling to survive. People who are aching and on the verge of ending their life...and we're arguing about what movie to rent or which function we should make a priority?

Jesus should be our priority. Always. No exceptions.

We cannot continue on this path of self-righteousness...I cannot continue on the path I am on right now. In another 1, 5, 10 years I will be living for nothingness. Times change, oh yes, they certainly do...but HOW they change is all up to you and I.

There have been so many before us, people who spent their entire lives showing the love we should be showing now. We think "Oh my goodness, now THAT was a man of God. If only we had more of those." I'm sorry, is there any reason at all why WE cannot go out and make that kind of impact? Is there something wrong with us? We have a big "revival" time or "eye opening" year or two, but (as always) we die out and lose interest. We start acting like the life lived for Christ just isn't what we thought it was and we become bored. We don't get enough attention is what it is. To be popular you don't do what everyone else isn't doing. To get noticed by the people you want, you don't do whats right. No, you dress, act, and talk how people want you to...then you will be lifted high by many.

"Everything they do is done for men to see: they make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them 'Rabbi' " -Matthew 23:5-7

My life has had major ups...and very big downs. But when I read of the great apostles, I ache inside. I know very very well that something is missing...I know I could be doing for the cause of Christ exactly what those men did. So why aren't I? I am selfish. I want my life to be fun and exciting; I weigh it out and think "that just doesn't seem like it would satisfy me." And this right here, ladies and gentlemen...is why we should not make decisions on our own.

Jesus IS satisfying! As a matter of a fact, He is the ONLY thing that can satisfy us! Wow...what a revelation. I can go hang out with my friends, go on date after date, play sports, get married, or even run for president...but none of these will ever satisfy what I naturally long for. Jesus. This is the fulfillment one gets when they have truly spent their days glorifying the King of Kings with their whole heart, mind and soul.

You see, I was made for one purpose: To worship and love Jesus Christ. How I choose to do so is up to me. Once I have placed HIM at the center of everything I do, I can even play sports, hang out with my friends, start a business, go on vacation....it really doesn't matter. You might think He isn't interested in any such things. He loves you, and if you love those things and do them with the heart for God and shine HIM through your actions...then yes He loves those things! He didn't say we had to spend our lives knocking on everyone's doors and try to spread the gospel to make Him happy. We make Him happy by living out what we say we believe. That our God is enough. That He is the only way to heaven. That we have humbled ourselves before Him because we are unworthy.

"My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken." -Psalm 62:1

I do not want to be lukewarm another day. I want God to set me on fire. I want that fire that I had the moment I accepted Jesus in my life to be how I feel each and every day. I want Jesus to stroke my fire until it is big enough to see from the moon. I want to burn bright for Him!

No comments: