Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Taking Time

Today marks many years past since that dreadful day the twin towers went down. It made me think through some of my choices I've made (and others I thought I needed to make) recently.

The people who died in those buildings had lives. They all had plans to go on vacation, go see family, write a letter to a past friend, take life slower, give their husband/wife/child a hug, say I'm sorry, get married...the list goes on and on. They all had plans to do things that were put to an abrupt end.

There are so many things in my life that I worry about or make a big ordeal...when in reality, I may not have the next 5 years of my "5 year plan" to live. I may not even have tomorrow. There's a saying that all procrastinators know; "why put off today what you can put off tomorrow?" Most people think this way most of the time, but it's very sad. WHY put it off? Whatever it is. Why put off so many things that are more important than what we spend our time doing right now?

It seems most of the time, we put off all of the important things and spend our time doing things not so important when you look at them in the long run.

One thing we see about Jesus throughout the bible, is that He was intentional. He had a plan for His life, but He also knew it wouldn't be too long. When He had something to do, He did it. He didn't put off talking to the women at the well for a "better" time when it was more convenient for Him. He knew she needed Him that day, so He made time for her.

There are so many times when I say "someday" I'll finish _____ or "someday" I'll learn more about ______ or "someday" I'll decide what my life should be like. Someday may not come for me. It's hard to think about, but it's very real. My life isn't promised to go on until I'm 70-80 years old.

There's a song by a group that I love, because it always reminds me just how little time I have here on this earth. The chorus says, "If today was your last day, and tomorrow was too late. Could you say goodbye to yesterday? Would you live each moment like your last? Leave old pictures in the past, donate every dime you have?" (Nickelback "If Today Was Your Last Day")

If today WAS my last day and I was knew about it...would I be a little more kind, generous, loving or patient? Would I make sure I treated people better since I wouldn't have another chance?

I shouldn't have to start truly living my life this way because it was my last day. I should be living my life that way because it's how I'm SUPPOSED to live it. I may not ever get another chance to shine Jesus to someone, tell my family I love them, or tell a friend I've hurt that I'm sorry.

We shouldn't put off today what we should have done yesterday.

Today may be our last day...Never forget.

No comments: