Thursday, February 14, 2013

New Perspective On Love

I hear many sides to Valentines Day and I think it's time we get a new perspective on the situation.

Some of the singles try to sound happy about being single, some even laugh and call it something like "Singles Awareness Day" (SAD, how ironic.) Some get depressed that they don't have a significant other. Some go have fun and are truly happy about their life. 

Then there are those who have someone. Some husbands and wives are all about the traditional teddy bears, chocolates, flowers and going out to dinner. Some are miserable with each other and pretend like the day doesn't even exist. Some are just so in love they don't care what they do or what happens, they are just happy to be together.

Well, I am here to say I have been through just about every emotion a person can have for Valentines Day. 

-I have been the depressed single, wishing my prince charming would come rescue me from loneliness.
-I have been single, and content with it, because I felt loved by my friends.
-I have been in a bad relationship and couldn't enjoy it like my friends who were happy.
-I have been in a wonderful relationship and just wanted to do all I could for my guy to make him feel loved.

You see, I've heard many different feelings for this holiday. Even people who say they think it's a waste to spend so much money on a single day. Here's the thing, whereas I can agree that it gets a little bit overdone with some people and the whole cheesiness factor does come in to play at times, BUT, I think the principal of the holiday is a good one. These days people's lives are so busy 24/7 that I think often times we forget to show our feelings. If it takes a "silly" holiday to remind us, then by all means, bring on the holiday!

I know, it shouldn't take a holiday to remind us to show our love and appreciation for the people in our lives, but I think it has come to that point. If you're one who brings a little romance to your spouse/significant other year round, kudos to you! You've managed to do something that people have lost the desire to do. But the truth is, I still think it's a good idea to set aside, at the very least, one day out of the year to think about each other and nothing else. To spend a little money on a nice dinner, buy your wife or girlfriend some flowers (no, that has not gone out of style, we still love flowers!) or just sit and enjoy a good movie.

If you're SINGLE, do not be depressed! It is better to wait years for the RIGHT guy than spend time looking for "any" guy. Being in a relationship is not everything. If you're single, take advantage of it! Spend time with your friends, go on adventures, seek out God's plan for your life here and now. Don't push to be in a relationship when it might not be your time. I know the feeling, believe me, I've had many a things I wish I wouldn't have rushed into. I could have saved myself a lot of heartache by just being patient. But all I can do is offer my advice. Enjoy your life right where you are. God has amazing plans for you right now, just like he does for those who are in relationships. To search for love is to forget the ONE who has always loved you. Jesus.

Complaining about not being in a relationship won't make you happier. Going into a relationship you know isn't right won't make you happy. Complaining that your relationship isn't like your friends won't make you happy. Getting our of a "complacent" or "loveless" marriage won't bring you happiness. 
Happiness is a choice, and it is one we must all make for ourselves.


Valentines Day is not about having somebody to love, but rather loving somebody you have. 

Look around you. There are plenty of people deserving. 

No comments: