Monday, July 18, 2011

Serve one Master in this world

"We are, we are, we're caught in the in between of who we already are and who we are yet to be. And we're looking for love but finding we're still in need. It's only what we have lost will we be allowed to keep.
And we're waiting but our eyes are wandering to all this earth holds dear.

Look at all the pretty things that steal my heart away. I can feel I'm fading.
'Cause Lord I love so many things, that keep me from Your face. Come and save me."
(Tenth Avenue North "All The Pretty Things")

This world certainly seems to have a lot to offer, doesn't it? If you have money, it seems you can have anything your heart desires. Friends, cars, mansion homes, clothes and accessories galore, you can eat out whenever and wherever you want, you can have any new electronic device that come out...it seems all so perfect, right?
Then why do we constantly want more? Aside from the fact that humans are just greedy and dissatisfied most of the time, if you don't have Christ and His love then you'll never feel filled. You can buy all you want. Get all the "friends" you wish to have. You can get any new thing out there on the market...but you won't ever be satisfied until you're life is filled with Christ.

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth." -Matthew 6:24

The whole point in "marketing" is to make people think they need the item that's being sold. Their job is to reel you in and tell you how much you need the item and how good of a deal they can get you. It's really a brilliant idea...if you're the seller. Just think what people could do for Christ if they put their marketing skills into telling people how much they need God...now there's an idea.

"We run, we run to finally be set free. But we're fighting, fighting for what we've already received. So we're waiting but our eyes are wandering to all this earth holds dear.

Look at all the pretty things that steal my heart away. I can feel I'm fading.
'Cause Lord I love so many things that keep me from Your face. Come and save me."
(Tenth Avenue North "All The Pretty Things" verse 2)

I fight everything within me to get more out of life. I search for fulfillment every single day. I make lists, do jobs, run errands, go see people...and yet I still don't have that feeling of fulfillment. Why, I ask myself? Because I don't make time and spend it with Jesus. The more time I spend with Him, the more time I spend emptying out myself and putting Him in my life, the more I can say "no" to the things of the world. The more I will be satisfied with what I have.

This whole world is a temptation. Even churches nowadays are temptations in my life with so many things going on. I can hang out with friends, I can participate in many different activities...but will that really fill me up? Not unless it's all spent thinking of Christ or doing it for Him.

The movie "Facing The Giants" made a very good point. Just because we're Christians it doesn't mean we have to give up things we like doing. Whether it be football, soccer, tennis, shopping, crafts, seeing friends...just as long as we do it all for the glory of God. As long as we have an attitude that will glorify Him no matter what happens as we're doing these things. Sports, we honor Him in our attitude on the field/court. We can be kind and gracious to those who are playing with us or against us.

We can make sure our attitude is always pleasing to Christ.

If we're shopping or working on hobbies or crafts...we can still glorify God in those things. We can watch how we spend our money or time, making sure we're not putting those things before God in our life. We can even use those times to talk to God or bless other people through our love of those things. We need to take any chance we can to glorify God in all that we do.

Every day, we need to find a new way to use the things in our life to glorify God and spend time with Him. God did give us this life to live. And that doesn't mean we can't have fun! God gave us the love we have for the different things in our life. But it's up to us to use those things for HIS glory.

No comments: