Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Singing Psalms

"To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul. O my God, I trust in You; let me not be ashamed; let not my enemies triumph over me. Indeed, let no one who waits on You be ashamed; let those be ashamed who deal treacherously without cause. Show me Your ways, O LORD; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all the day. Remember, O LORD, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindnesses, for they are from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; according to Your mercy remember me, for Your goodness’ sake, O LORD." -Psalm 21:1-7

I must stop and think...when was the last time I lifted my soul up to the Lord? When was the last time I stopped my crazy life and just poured out myself and everything in me to Him and thought of nothing else as I did it? No thoughts of prayer for things I wanted...but prayed a selfless prayer admitting how much I needed HIM?

When was the last time I had all my trust, wholly and completely, in Jesus Christ? Was I ashamed to mention His name to others, or simply shine Him around those who don't know Him?

Even with being mostly around other Christians, life still sends it's enemies. I'm not perfect, and there are some people that don't like me. What does it say about our enemies though...to curse them? No. David asks God to not let his enemies triumph over him. He doesn't say "I curse them, Lord. Pour Your wrath on them."
Even our enemies deserve prayer and love. Jesus said in Matthew "But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which spitefully use you, and persecute you..." It's pretty clear.

Those who wait on the Lord won't be ashamed. "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as Eagles. They shall run and not be weary they shall walk, and not faint." So long as we're putting our faith and trust in Him, He will show us the right way to go. The more we wait on the Lord, the more His plan for our life will be fulfilled...and not our own desires.

I love going through Psalms. It's just amazing to see how much praise David sends up to His Lord. He wasn't ashamed of praising Him, admitting when he had made mistakes...it's a huge reminder of how my relationship with Christ should be.

No comments: