Thursday, July 14, 2011

Will dreams really come true?

You know, humans have dreams and goals from the time they're tiny little toddlers until they die. I think a lot of the time my dreams come from my own selfish desires...ones that I think will make me get noticed by others instead of doing things to show God to those around me. Sometimes it is very hard to let dreams go. We have planned our whole life around them, then they start breaking into pieces and we get lost; we don't know what our life could even BE like without that one dream being a part of it. It was, what we thought, was our future.

One thing God has been working in my heart lately is letting all of my dreams and goals go. Not giving them up in a certain sense, but giving them over to God and not trying to hold onto them myself. Goodness, let me tell you...when you've given God all of those things you hold so dear and worry so much about...you become free and are able to actually "live" your life instead of just getting by day by day. I've gotten a new drive for Christ without all the other things crowding Him out, and now God can work those dreams out in His own way with HIS will and plans. He then might tell me to let some of them go. That is the hardest part, especially since I tend to hang on to things in my life with such a tight grip and try to not "bother" God with my problems. But, aren't they really all His anyway?

"I've got voices in my head and they are so strong. I'm getting sick of this, oh Lord, how long will I be haunted by the fear that I believe? My hands like locks on cages of these dreams I can't set free.

But if I let these dreams die, If I lay down all my wounded pride. If I let these dreams die, will I find that letting go lets me come alive.

So empty my hands, fill up my heart, capture my mind with you.

These voices speak instead and what's right is wrong. And I'm giving into them, please Lord, how long will I be held captive by the lies that I believe. My heart's in constant chaos and it keeps me so deceived.

But if I let these dreams die, If I could just lay down my dark desire.
If I let these dreams die, will I find You brought me back to life?

So empty my hands, fill up my heart, capture my mind with you.

'Cause my mind is like a building burning down. I need your grace to keep me, keep me from the ground. And my heart is just a prisoner of war, a slave to what it wants and to what I'm fighting for.

So won't you empty my hands, fill up my heart, capture my mind with You.

Empty my hands, fill up my heart, capture my mind with You, with You. I need You now."
("Empty My Hands" by Tenth Avenue North)

Whether we want to believe it or not, our life isn't about us. It isn't about living a full, fun filled life always having adventures to give us a thrill. We will definitely have adventures, we will have fun, and we will have thrilling experiences...but they all need to be done for God. That's really the only time we will ever have peace about our life and where it's headed anyway.


So today, Lord, I hand over all dreams, goals and hopes for my future. I give my life, my desires and prayers all over to You. They're Yours to do with as You please; whether it is to bless them or take them from me. Give me peace through everything You work through me. Give me trust and faith in You so I will not give in to being discontent or depressed when my life starts changing. I pray that everything I do will have the soul root of glorifying YOU, Lord. I pray that you give me the strength I need to constantly give over everything in my life, including myself. Amen.

No comments: